Monday, April 05, 2010

Sunday Serendipity

Sound track of the day:
There’s a black man with a black cat
Living in a white neighborhood
He’s got an interstate running through his front yard
You know, he thinks he’s got it so good

Current Temperature: Sunny and bright, perfect skies, outlook is positive

Culture clash: Bale, is a simple word for “ok ok”. I’m liking it.



Today, the weather was something out of a romantic’s painting. The skies were true blue with perfectly placed puffs of happy clouds scattered across the crisp cyan canvas. It was the kind of day you create for an Easter Sunday made for pretty yellow dresses, big-brimmed hats, Easter egg hunts, bunnies and daisies.

The park, Parque del Buen Retiro was packed with families, couples, lone strollers and pretty much anyone who wasn’t in church or at a restaurant. Around the lake picnic blankets were laid out, and along the staircase near the eastern edge of the lake I sat facing the sun, my eyes closed and listening to conversations and laughter. A small fountain sprayed water into the lake to my right and amateur boaters could be heard yelping as they tried to avoid getting wet. Couples took self portraits, kids splashed water onto their parents. It was an uneventful day in the park, but pleasant and relatively peaceful.

Tonight I finished the Master and Margarita and even got some insight by reading the commentary at the back, a section I had avoided while reading the text in order to maintain my own perception of the novel. As I read the final chapters, the closing scenes, I realized that I was finishing the book on exactly the same day but in a different year as the Moscow storyline and the Yershalaim storyline. Not a majorly profound realization but a significant one at least simply because of the coincidence.

On tonight’s menu:
Shrimp in garlic oil
Asparagus grilled
Grilled mushrooms w/ garlic
Spanish Tortilla
Mixed salad with tuna

Sangria
(I did not eat all of this alone)

No comments: